Art Throughout the Cathedral
The cathedral was designed in 1925 by the firm of Jacobberger and Smith. It is in the Romanesque style with some Byzantine features and covers an area of 12,000 square feet. The stained glass windows in the transept date from one of the earlier cathedrals. Statues of the Sacred Heart and the Blessed Mother were brought in by the Benedictine monks of Mount Angel. The Stations of the Cross and the Povey Brothers dome above the altar date from 1926. Other artwork, including the paintings in the apse, the lights, the stained glass windows, the etched windows in the vestibule, and the icons were either installed at the time of the restoration or in the years since then.